Sunday, August 4, 2013

Visited Lapu-Lapu Shrine...

This afternoon, I went to Lapu-Lapu shrine inside Rizal Park Luneta, Manila.



I went there to find the group who teaches Kali Ilustrisimo. I read on their website that their session is free every Sunday in Luneta. I didn't know there are other Kali martial arts there aside from Ilustrisimo.


This is Kiathson Martial Arts. 


I thought this is Kali Ilustrisimo and their performance is free... but they are just showing off. When I inquired about their headquarters, they said it's in San Andres Bukid. As I checked google maps, it's in Mandaluyong City. The master told me that their style is traditional and their moves is up to 14 body strikes (compared to most FMA body strikes which is just 12) (I just read/watched that in martial arts, fewer techniques beats the many techniques). He also said he's teaching Aikido. He showed in front of me some disarming stick moves. Training is PHP500 monthly.


I also saw another 1: 


They are called Aikiyoi Martial Arts. Their kali sticks are as long as (or slightly smaller than) a bokken. I think it's a mix of Kali and Aikido.

There's a guy wearing a shirt of Laraw Kali Pamuok and as I check on the internet, their base is in ParaƱaque. 

The others are one on one sparring training with sticks or an umbrella. 

In the end of my search here in Luneta, I didn't able to see Kali Ilustrisimo. 

I think most of them are just showing off to attract potential students to support the financial needs of their martial arts club.

I think I'm just gonna stay in AKETS for a while since it's near my house and the master already responded to my text message inquiry. Lifetime membership is PHP500. Uniform is PHP1,000. Training is PHP100 per session, twice a week (Saturdays and Sundays). I just hope he has proper equipments and well ventilated training place. 


After that, I just went to Recto to buy new Kali sticks. It's called bahi. 


Bahi sticks

They cost PHP330 there with the bag. 1 stick costs PHP150. It's a fibrous wood made from an endangered palm tree here. Its weight is heavy and its strength is more durable than kamagong that's why most FMA practitioners use it. 


Kamagong sticks

I just need to know what kind of oil for wood should I use for maintaining the wood strength of these sticks?

Before I went home, I went to the Mechanical Engineering review center (near Recto) I'm currently enrolled in to get some hand-out notes to review for licensure exam.